Annual Paid Time Off Banks
Regular status, benefits-eligible Associates accrue paid time off to be used for vacation or other personal endeavors, and sick time for personal illness, to care for a sick child, parent, spouse or domestic partner, or any other reason as necessitated by regulatory jurisdiction. Since paid time off regulations vary by state and work location, please refer to your HR Manager or HR Business Partner for more information.
- Pay period accrual based on tenure and career level within the organization.
- Career level can be found in UltiPro on the job and compensation screen.
- Tenure based accrual changes upon milestone anniversaries.
- Tier based accrual changes as associates progress career levels.
- Accrual is prorated based on hours paid, up to 80 hours per pay period.
- Associates accrue up to 1.5-times annual accrual.
- Once the maximum balance is reached, accrual pauses until balance drops below max.
- Unused accrued vacation is not paid out upon termination of employment.
- Unused accrued vacation will only be paid to individuals working in states where this policy is deemed prohibited by law.
- Pay period accrual based on company policy or regulatory requirements, if greater.
- Company sick policy accrual will equal five (5) days or 40 hours accrual annually.
- Accrual is prorated based on hours paid, up to 80 per pay period. Accrual is 1 hour per 30 hours paid.
- Associates accrue up to 40 hours annually and carry a balance of up to 80 hours, 2-times annual accrual.
- Once the maximum balance is reached, accrual pauses until balance drops below max.
- Eight (8) U.S. Company Holidays are observed: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day.
- Corporate and Field Leadership have company observed holidays automatically tracked and applied.
- Field Leadership includes STI-eligible associates not physically working in a corporate office, such as RVP, RD, DD, AM, DM, MM, RHRM, RVM, LP, Field Talent Managers
- Floating Holiday
- Floating Holiday bank is provided to associates working in Distribution Center and Stores, where the company paid holidays may not be observed.
- Floating Holiday hours allocated are based on associate classification of full-time or part-time, provided part-time associate is eligible to receive paid time off benefits.
- Full-time associates are allocated 8-hours per holiday.
- Part-time associates are allocated 4-hours per holiday.
- Floating Holiday bank is populated with holiday hours in the pay period prior to the holiday. Associates will see “Floating Holiday Grant” on UTA Timesheets and Time Off Calendars.
- Floating Holiday bank may not exceed eight (8) days or 64 hours in any given time.
- Associates may elect to use hours in Floating Holiday bank when taking an alternate day off.
- Unused accrued Floating Holiday is paid out upon termination of employment, where required by law.
- Years of Service is based on the most recent hire date; Hire date = start date = first day of work for pay
- Vacation accrual based on hours paid, max accrual per pay period is based on 80 hours
- Sick accrual is based on a legal minimum of 1 hour per 30 paid, shown based on 80 hours per pay period
- 1 day = 8 hours for full-time associates, 4 hours for part-time
Paid Time Off Eligibility
Full-time, regular status, benefits-eligible Associates receive Holiday pay or Floating Holiday Bank and accrue vacation and sick, based on length of service, hours paid, and career level within the organization.
Part-time, regular status, associates can gain paid time off eligibility by working an average of at least 30 hours per week during the annual measurement period, from October to October, for the next paid time off plan year.
Paid Time Off Usage
- Paid Time Off benefits includes traditional Vacation, Sick, and Holiday or Floating Holiday Banks to maintain compliance with regulatory sick jurisdictions.
- Vacation and Sick Banks are accrued each pay period and Floating Holiday Banks, for eligible associates, are loaded the pay period prior to the holiday. Paid time off banks are available to use right away, provided your request is pre-approved by your manager or scheduled in compliance with applicable municipal and state laws.
- There may be times of the year when blackout periods occur for vacation use, due to business needs. Supervisors are expected to work with Associates within the spirit of this policy to ensure associates have the chance to take a vacation.
- Floating Holiday Bank hour allocation, for eligible associates in Distribution Center and Stores, depends on whether your classification is full-time or part-time:
- Full-time Associates: Work an average of 38+ hours per week
- Part-time Associates: Work an average of 30-38 hours per week
- Vacation carries over from year to year, but the maximum balance will not exceed 1.5-times the annual accrual.
- Sick carries over from year to year, but the maximum balance will not exceed two-times the annual accrual unless a greater amount is required by applicable law.
- Floating Holiday Bank, if applicable, carries over from year to year, but the maximum balance will not exceed 8-days or 64-hours.
- Borrowing against future Vacation or Sick accrual or Floating Holiday Bank allocation is not permitted.
- Vacation time and Floating Holidays may not be paid in lieu of taking a time off and may not be traded or given to another Associate.
- If illness or injury prevents you from reporting to work, you are expected to contact your manager immediately or as soon as is allowed by applicable municipal and state leave laws to ensure coverage of work responsibilities. Absences of 3 or more consecutive days are required to be reported to the Leave of Absence / Benefits Team and may also require a doctor’s note. If your Vacation, Sick, and Floating Holiday Banks have been exhausted at the time of illness or injury, you will need to contact the Leave of Absence / Benefits Team to discuss a leave of absence eligibility.
Timecard Reporting Expectations
- Non-Exempt hourly associates:
- May use Vacation in 1-hour increments, Sick in the smallest increment supported by applicable time system, and Floating Holidays in full-day increments.
- When applying Vacation and/or Sick to a partial workday, Vacation and/or Sick plus Hours Worked may not exceed 8 hours per day, unless scheduled to work more than 8 hours a day.
- Exempt salary associates are only required to take Vacation, Sick, or Floating Holiday if they are absent for a full 8-hour workday and record time in 8-hour increments.
- All associates are expected to record Vacation, Sick, and Floating Holiday in the applicable timekeeping system within the week it is taken.
- Hours taken in excess of banks will not be paid.
- Upon exhaustion of paid time off banks, unpaid time will not be approved, unless on an approved leave of absence. Contact the Leave of Absence / Benefits Team to discuss the leave of absence eligibility.
- Not recording paid time off in accordance with this policy is considered falsification of company documents and will be addressed through corrective action up to and including separation.
New Hire or Newly Benefit Eligible Process
- Your Vacation and Sick Banks are available to use throughout the year, including from hire date, however, your balance accrues on a pay period basis.
- New hires have a 30-day waiting period before they may use Vacation unless a pre-existing vacation was approved at the time of hire. Sick and Holiday or Floating Holiday Bank may be used immediately.
- Upon separation of employment or loss of eligibility
- Vacation: The company policy does not pay out unused accrued vacation balances at the time of termination. Unused vacation will only be paid to individuals working in states where this policy is deemed prohibited by law.
- Sick: Unused accrued Sick is not paid out.
- Floating Holiday: Unused accrued Floating Holiday Bank is not paid out, unless required by law.
- If you live in a state or municipality that requires payout, you will receive a cash-out of any unused accrued Vacation and/or Floating Holiday on your final check.
- Upon tendering notice of resignation, associates may not use Vacation time or Floating Holidays during the last weeks of employment leading up to the separation date.
Benefits-eligible associates are also eligible for the leave types defined below, which are tracked separately from Vacation, Sick, or Floating Holiday time. Please contact your Human Resources Manager or Leave of Absence / Benefits Team for more information.
Jury Duty Leave
- If you are called to jury duty, Pacsun will pay your base wage for jury duty or court attendance time that is scheduled during your regular work schedule, up to 10 days.
- You keep any payment you receive from the court, including reimbursement for expenses (i.e. travel, parking).
- If you are called for jury duty, please notify your supervisor immediately so arrangements may be made to continue your pay and arrange any needed back-up for your work responsibilities.
- If a member of your immediate family dies or you experience a miscarriage, you may receive paid bereavement leave, at a maximum of 8 hours per day, as follows:
- Up to 3 days – standard
- Up to 5 days – if the funeral /memorial service is held outside of the associate’s state of residence
- Up to 7 days – if the funeral / memorial service is held outside of the U.S., Puerto Rico, Canada
- Your immediate family is defined as your spouse, child, stepchild, foster child, parent, stepparent, parent-in-law, grandparent, grandchild, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, legal guardian, son-in-law, and daughter-in-law. Documentation may be requested.
Time Off to Vote
- Most elections have polling hours that allow you to vote without taking time off from work. If you do not have enough time during non-working hours to vote, you are eligible for Voting Paid Time Off.
- For non-presidential elections, benefits-eligible associates may take a maximum of two (2) hours of paid time off to vote. Non-benefits eligible associates may take two (2) hours unpaid to vote (unless otherwise required by applicable regulation).
- For presidential elections, benefits-eligible associates may take a maximum of four (4) hours of paid time off to vote. Non-benefits eligible associates may take four (4) hours unpaid to vote (unless otherwise required by applicable regulation).
- Time off to vote is requested to be arranged at least two days in advance of election day unless a shorter time is allowed by applicable law.
- Approved absences should be scheduled either at the beginning or end of a shift to reduce disruption to the business.
Leave of Absence
- If your absence from work is 3 or more consecutive scheduled days in duration, contact the Leave of Absence / Benefits Team as soon as possible to discuss a leave of absence eligibility.
Other Protected Time Off
- Based on your work location you may also be eligible for other unpaid, protected time off, such as but not limited to:
- Military Reserve Duty
- Witnesses in criminal cases (Puerto Rico)
- California Family-School Activities and Appearance Leave
- Substance Abuse Rehabilitation Leave
- California Literacy Education Assistance
- Civil Air Patrol (“CAP”)
- Volunteer Firefighters, Peace Officers, and Emergency Rescue Personnel
- California Victims of Crime, Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault or Stalking Leave
- Organ and Bone Marrow Donation
Paid Time Off Exceptions for Applicable Municipal or State Laws
Where municipal or state laws supersede our Paid Time Off policy, the governing law will apply. This policy does not include details of each varied leave requirement. If you have questions, contact Human Resources.
Paid & Unpaid Sick Leave (where required by municipal/state laws)
- Your work state or local municipality may require you to be provided with paid and/or unpaid Sick leave.
- Benefits-eligible associates are provided a Sick Time Bank, which meets paid Sick time regulations.
- Sick hours remaining at year-end are carried over.
- Sick is accrued per pay period and the maximum balance may not exceed two-times annual allocation unless a greater amount is required by applicable law.
- Sick is not paid out upon separation of employment unless required by applicable law.
- Non-Benefits eligible associates, working in states or local municipalities that require paid Sick leave, accrue paid Sick time.
- Paid Sick time accrues each pay period based on applicable regulation.
- Paid Sick time is accrued up to the annual limit, if applicable.
- Paid Sick time is carried over to the following year, or forfeited, based on applicable regulation.
- Paid Sick time is not paid out upon termination of employment.
- Paid Sick time accrued but unused, will be reinstated if rehired within parameters required under applicable state or local municipality regulation.
- Paid Sick time is available to be used based on applicable regulation. Sick time may be used for the following:
- Your own mental or physical illness, injury, or health condition
- Caring for your own personal wellness
- Care of a family member with a mental or physical illness, injury, or health condition
- Family members include child, step-child, adopted child, foster child, adult child, spouse, sibling, parent, step-parent, parent-in-law, grandchild, grandparent, guardian, ward, members of your household, registered domestic partner, or other individuals based on applicable law in the jurisdiction in which you are working
- Your or a family member’s medical and dental appointments
- Appointments include obtaining health care, preventive care, or travel to an appointment related to long-term care
- Other reasons covered by applicable regulation such as:
- Public health emergencies
- Care for a family member because the school or business where the family member is located is closed for public health or safety reasons
- Absences necessary for self or family member to address the effects of domestic violence, sexual assault, abuse, or stalking
- As of July 2020, states and local municipalities with unpaid and/or paid Sick time regulations are included in the list below. Where regulations between state and local municipality differ, the most advantageous component of each regulation is applied for the associate’s benefit.
- Arizona state
- California state
- Connecticut state
- Maryland State
- Massachusetts state
- Michigan state
- Nevada state
- New Jersey state
- Oregon state
- Rhode Island state
- Vermont state
- Washington state
- Puerto Rico territory
- San Francisco, CA
- San Diego, CA
- Oakland, CA
- Emeryville, CA
- Santa Monica, CA
- Los Angeles, CA
- City of Berkeley, CA
- Washington, DC
- City of Chicago, IL
- Cook County, IL
- Montgomery County, MD
- Duluth, MN
- Minneapolis, MN
- St. Paul, MN
- New York City, NY
- Portland, OR
- Philadelphia, PA
- Pittsburg, PA
- Austin, TX
- San Antonio, TX
- Seattle, WA
- Tacoma, WA
For questions about the Paid Time Off Policy, contact your HR Business Partner:
- Anaheim: Hope Milligan
- Distribution Center: Sara Bowman
- Pacsun Stores: Your Regional HR Manager
* hire date = start date = first day of work for pay
Amendment and Termination of the Policy: Although we intend to continue this policy, Pacsun reserves the right to change and/or terminate any portion of this benefit program at any time for any reason with or without notice. Participation in the benefit program does not give anyone the right to continued employment with Pacsun.